Senior Teams wrap up round 8

16 June 2014

1sts win, 2nds lose their first game of 2014, thirds win again


Seniors – round 8 versus Beaumaris

St Bernard’s 13.14.92 defeated Beaumaris 9.8.62

Perfect conditions awaited the boys as we took to the field to take on a well-balanced Beaumaris side at home on the weekend.  Pete Le Noury debuted for the senior side and was presented his jumper by club legend and game record holder Andrew Nathan before the game.

St Bernards jumped out of the blocks winning the midfield battle and giving our forwards some nice quick ball movement, which they capitalised on kicking 6.5 in the first quarter. Tommy Gleeson and Merro were dangerous as our backline stood strong with opposition inside 50’s allowing only 1 behind through.  Tommy Sullivan and Adam Bentick were doing some strong work around the stoppages and Tom Caven and Michael Angel were very strong down back.

The 2nd quarter was a real battle with Beaumaris throwing everything at St Bernards who withstood the pressure and was able to kick 4.3 to 3.2. Some inaccurate kicking cost us a little as we went into the long break with a handy lead.  With big Chiv going down it limited our rotations through the midfield but they all stepped up to fill the void.

The 2nd half was an even affair with Beaumaris stepping up their run and carry kicking 6 goals 5 compared to St Bernards 3.6.  It was good to see David Wall and Nick Burgin come in to the senior side and have an impact.  It was a great win by the boys with full credit to Beaumaris who fought back really hard after the first quarter, ensuring the boys had a strong contest for the remainder of the game.

Recovery started at the club ball on Saturday night as some of the players danced off some soreness in readiness for this week’s game where we face Old Scotch at home.  We encourage everyone to get down and support the boys as all sides continue to head in the right direction.

Goal Kickers: A. Merrington 3, T. Gleeson 2, C. Peart 2, L. Madden , T. Russell , N. Cooke , N. Burgin , J. Bevanda , D. Wall

Best Players: T. Sullivan, A. Bentick, M. Angel, A. Singleton, N. Burgin, T. Caven

RESERVES - St Bernards 4.10.34 defeated by Beaumaris 7.12.54

Fresh off the break, the reserves came up against seventh-placed Beaumaris looking to keep their unbeaten run intact. In what has been a very even competition to date with plenty of upset results, only two and a half games separated second and last place on the ladder, so our opposition were not to be taken lightly.

St Bernards went into the game with the inclusion of Ryan Schroder and Jack Gay back from a stint with the senior team, and Jack Fraser, Damien Ryan and Jake Wright all called up from the thirds as reward for their good form, while regular mainstays Dave Wall and Pete Le Noury had their strong, consistent form rewarded with senior selection. Congratulations to both boys, who have been excellent all year.


Overnight rain ensured the game began in slippery conditions. The centre wicket area was a gluepot, with neither side able to gain early momentum, in what was a true arm wrestle. Beaumaris had the majority of the play through the middle of the ground but struggled to convert, while St Bernards we able to capitalise on fewer opportunities to take a six-point lead at the first change. Jake Van Meel and Pat Gamwell were solid down back, and James Bennie had made a bright start on his back flank.


The second term saw Beaumaris continue to place fierce tackling pressure on the St Bernards midfield, who were struggling to break free. Congestion around the stoppages and the slippery conditions ensured the contest remained a scrappy affair, yet Beaumaris’ hard-running midfielders were able get on top on the spread. Their faster and cleaner ball movement allowed their forwards to capitalise on their opportunities more effectively, and took in a deserved 10-point lead at half time. The trademark of the St Bernards season thus far had been its ferocious tackling and smart defensive coverage, however it was being matched at its own game by a disciplined Beaumaris outfit. Sam Fleming and Jack Gay had been solid in midfield, and Brad Cooper was providing a good lead-up target up forward in what was a largely flat first half showing from St Bernards.


The St Bernards boys were given a stern word by coach Chisel at half time, who pleaded for a significant lift in aggression, work rate and intensity. Unfortunately that was not forthcoming after the break, as Beaumaris piled on the pressure, slamming on three unanswered goals for the quarter to open up a 28-point margin. The St Bernards midfield were under continuous pressure when moving the ball forward, as Beaumaris’ key defenders were able to shut down the majority of forward thrusts.


After being outplayed for most of the day, the final quarter saw St Bernards lift its efforts to get within striking distance with 15 minutes to play, with the majority of play being in the St Bernards half of the ground. Ryan Schroder and Pat McDonough had given St Bernards a lift around the stoppages, with Van Meel and James Weir setting up strongly behind the ball and driving the ball back inside 50. Despite being held scoreless in the final term in the low-scoring slog, Beaumaris were eventually able to hold off the St Bernards boys, whose lift in effort and attitude was too little too late, eventually going down by 20 points.


It was largely a very disappointing effort by our boys, able to score only two goals after quarter time. We will need a significant lift in intensity and effort with a tough run of matches coming up.


Best; Fleming, Van Meel, Cooper, Gay, Bennie, Gamwell.

Goals; Madden, Considine, Peart, Schroder.

Thirds - Round 8 vs Uni-Blues

Approaching the half way mark of the season the thirds were keen to establish themselves as a top four side as we took on Uni-Blues at Crawford oval.  The Early game time of 9:20 am always tests our organisational skills and often affects our pre-match routine; we knew the Uni-Blues boys would be hunting us down.

We were keen to start well and fully expected a tough opening, the instructions were to absorb the pressure and control the tempo. We scored the first goal through Cunningham and our defence led by Evo, Malseed, Dillon and O.McIntyre were under the pump as the opposition grabbed the initiative kicking two in a row to put us 7 points down at the end of the first. We were getting beaten in close despite the efforts of Gill, Forder and Sulzberger.  The quarter time instructions were to tighten up at stoppages and restrict the free flowing style of the opposition and give our defenders a chance to defend.

We clawed our way back in the second with Corsetti working hard up forward and our engine room players, O’Connor, Kingston, Notaro and Bevanda putting the clamps on their opponents. A great mark and goal by Matt Gurrisi followed by a Cal Forder goal was reward for our effort, the move of Segrave into defence was telling as he was able to shut down his opponent and run off him. Despite all of this we were down by a point at half time and not really playing well.

It was pointed out at the half time break we had not switched the ball once in a half of football and we needed to take some risks to get into the game. The game had now become a real arm wrestle, McAllister, McIntyre, Jowett and Sargent were working hard for the team but we could not hit the score board, 1 goal 4 was a poor return for our efforts, the opposition were equal to the task and answered every challenge to be 4 points up at the last change.

The scene was set for a tight finish; it was going to go down to the wire. The coaching group urged the players on; our form over the last two quarters had been good we just needed to be cleaner with our use of the footy. The first goal was always going to be crucial, enter big Adam Bevanda. After taking a good contested mark he coolly went back and kicked truly, we then found some legs and continued to attack the goals but could only register points; our defence had become miserable keeping them goalless and gave their opponents nothing. The Bernards boys were trying to defend a 3 point lead with 5 minutes to go, we wrestled, tackled and pressured the opposition forcing them to turn the ball over or force a stoppage, and it was not pretty to watch. We were able to milk the clock and defend grimly. A mark to the opposition within scoring range in the dying seconds had our hearts in our mouths, siren sounds he takes his kick and misses!! We are home by two points. It was a fantastic team performance to be able to dig deep and produce a win like that, well done guys.

Final Score:  St Bernards 5-10-40 defeated Uni-Blues 5-8-38

Goals: A.Bevanda, J.Cunningham, C.Forder, M.Gurrisi, M.Sargent

Best: J.Malseed, D.Segrave, M.Sulzberger, A.Corsetti, N.McAllister, J.Cunningham, J.Evans.

Craig Connelly