Round 7 Wrap

24 May 2015

Eight goal 2nd quarter seals it for the 1sts and a 4 goal last quarter claims a last gasp win for the ressies; whilst the 3rds fought hard all day


St Bernards 15.13.103 defeated Carey 12.12.84

Best: A. Bentick, N.Cooke,  A. Boyse, C.Peart, M.Angel, S.Woods

Goals: A.Boyse 4, C.Jones 3, J.Manunzio 2, A. Bentick 2, N.Cooke 2, A.Merrington 2

The oval at the Carey Sports Complex is always in immaculate condition and with another sunny Saturday, everything was in place for the battle between the second and third teams on the ladder. Carey has shown good early form this season and they looked to be at full strength to take on St Bernard’s. Our midfield was beefed up with the return of Al McLeod from Essendon VFL; and the inclusion of Tristan Cartledge and Chad Jones, added some real talent in the big man department.

In the first quarter the game lived up to the hype. In an even quarter of footy, both sides had their moments. Carey, kicking with a slight breeze, looked slick when they moved the ball quickly. For the first time this year, St Bernard’s began the game with the three talls, Merrington, Jones and Campbell all lining up in the forward line. But it was the other forwards, Alex Boyse, who was up and about, and Munza sneaking in for two goals that caused the damage.

The second quarter was all St Bernard’s. In an 8 goals to 2 quarter, Bernies took control of the match. With Shaun Clarke dominating in the ruck, Adam Bentick, Al McLeod, Chris Peart and Nick Cooke took control in the centre. Bentick was masterful all day. A Carey supporter was heard to voice his frustration saying, ‘Not him again, isn’t anybody going to tackle him today?’

Chad Jones slotted the first goal in the third quarter and we thought that’s it-game over. But Carey is a good side and they kicked the next four goals to make St Bernard’s supporters feel a little uneasy about the eventual outcome. Two goals each in the last quarter saw Bernies run out winners by 19 points. After such a dominant second quarter, we might have hoped for a bigger margin.

Highlights included Nick Cooke getting a lot of the ball and using his speed to break the lines, and to top it off, kicking two very good goals. Alex Boyse marked well and returned to the goal kicking list with what is becoming his usual 4.  Sam Woods just keeps impressing, his work rate is fantastic. Young Chris Hughes is looking more comfortable with the tempo of senior footy and had a real impact. The Caven boys, Michael Angel and Ben Considine were, as usual, very solid in defence.      

On a sad note, Adam Campbell went down after taking a mark in the second quarter. The bad news is that he ruptured his achilles. Adam moved from Sydney at the beginning of the year and was very excited about the prospect of playing a season with his cousins at St Bernard’s. He has bought a good deal of enthusiasm and experience to the team. We all wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to him still playing a role in some capacity this year.


St.Bernards: 1-0, 2-2, 5-4, 9-7 (61)
Old Carey:    4-3, 6-5, 8-8, 8-9 (57)

Goal kickers: Darren Colaco and Michael Farrant - 2, David Wall, Ben Peart, Ed Connelly, Jack Gay & Zeesh Awan - 1

Best Players: Jack Gay, Ed Connelly, Ben Peart, Jake Forder (100th game), Pat Gamwell, Nick Burgin.

Playing the bottom team, we were outplayed in the first half by Old Carey who were prepared to run, block for each other and tackle us strongly causing turnovers and our inability to convert up forward. We were behind by 27 pts and had a handful of players who were keeping us within reach - Gamwell, Peart, Forder, Gay & Connelly.

We started the 3rd qtr in a more positive manner and pegged back Old Carey's lead to 16 points but gave away an undisciplined 25 metre penalty resulting in a goal just before 3/4 time. Our first half best players continued to work hard and the rest of the players began to take their lead and we were back into the game with centre clearances and transitioning with more run and spread.  Josh Hedley and Jack Fraser started to influence the game and Darren Colaco was converting up forward.

Despite being behind by 22 pts at 3/4 time, we had the momentum going into the last qtr but couldn't allow Old Carey to get a start early. The last qtr was a fantastic TEAM EFFORT with contributions from everyone with fierce attack on the ball, persistent tackling and a willingness to move the ball on at all costs and run to create space from the backline. Our efforts were rewarded up forward with last qtr goals to Michael Farrant (2), Jack Gay (1 should have been 2 ?) & Zeesh Awan. To win by 4 pts after overcoming a 22 pt last qtr deficit is a special effort in Reserves footy and something that, according to The Coach, Chris Davis, should be bottled and brought out every week for a full 4 qtrs. Hopefully this win, more so the way that we won, will start our upward charge towards the Four.

St Bernards Thirds 2015 Round 7 vs SKOBs

Final Score:  St Bernards 7-3-45 were defeated by SKOBs 11-6-72

Goals: S.Thomas 2, D.Ryan, S.O’Keeffe, F.McNicol, W.Kingston, C.Forder

Best: K.Kwiatkowski, C.Forder, P.Rahill, S.O’Keeffe, T.Isaacs, B.Shepheard

The thirds pushed top of the table St Kevin’s all the way to the line but were unable to get the chocolates in a physical contest at T.H King Oval. The pregame focus was to get off to a good start and the boys delivered. Goals to Forder and O’Keeffe had us up and about and defensively we kept them goalless. At the first break it was   2-0 to 0-5.

Our second terms recently have been ordinary, the plan was to control the tempo and keep the scoreboard ticking over as we knew the SKOBs boys would respond. We were unable to contain them and poor decision making handed them two goals before we kicked a major through Thomas. We had our fair share of the footy and the effort was good but we could not convert. At half time it was 3-0 to 5-6

Mono & Kev had the magnets whizzing around the board at half time looking for answers, goals were hard to find and we needed to get a couple to keep the contest alive. Ralphy, Forder and McNicol were willing themselves into the contest in the third as the boys lifted a gear and were working their backsides off. The opposition took full advantage of our mistakes and hurt us on the scoreboard. A goal to Kingston kept us within reach. At orange time it was 4-1 to 8-6.

The coaching group felt that we were ticking all the boxes but could not convert; the group was encouraged to keep up the pressure at the contest and push the ladder leaders all the way. The last quarter effort was magnificent as all players dug deep and would not lie down. Kristoff, Baird and Forder were prominent during this term, consecutive goals to Ryan and McNicol breathed some life into the contest as the opposition were unable to put us away. We fought the game out to the bell proving that we can match it with the best.

Senior Scribes