20 July 2015

A tight win again against Uni Blues for the 1sts. Ressies smoked. Thirds keep finals hopes alive


St Bernards 10.11.71 defeated University Blues 9.11.65

Best: N.Kazuro, S. Caven, C.Jones, A.Bentick, S.Woods, J.Manunzio

Goals: C.Jones 4, B.Ronke 2, A.Merrington 2, N.Cooke, J.Manunzio

They say good teams find a way to win the tight ones. At three quarter time St Bernard’s led by only 13 points, after conceding a four goal lead mid-term. Both sides had found it tough to score, but in the last quarter Uni Blues were kicking with the breeze. In his three quarter time address, Anthony Rock, urged his team to find a way to win this one. They didn’t let him down. St Bernard’s backline stood tall and repelled the Blue’s attacks time after time to secure a nail-biting 6 point win.

After a wet, cold week, it was good to see a bit of sunshine (but boy it was still cold!) The redeveloped St Bernard’s oval looked a treat, and apart from a gluey centre square, provided the players with the opportunity to play some good dry weather footy. But unfortunately for the spectators, this was not to be the case. The game turned into a game of stoppages with both sides finding it difficult to break free. For St Bernard’s the usual suspects, Adam Bentick, Chris Peart and Jake Bevanda, were in the middle or at the bottom of most packs. The work rate of these guys is to be admired, they doggedly stuck to their task all day. Speaking of players doing their job, Nathan Kazuro’s effort tagging one of the Blue’s best earned him high praise from the coach.

St Bernard’s looked their best when they could get the ball moving quickly. Experienced players Alex Singleton and Nick Cooke were able to use their pace to break the lines and were responsible for some of our better forward moves. Less experienced, but just as exciting, were the efforts of Sam Woods, Chris Hughes and Ben Ronke. Ben chimed in with a hanger and two goals. There’s a lot to like about these young guns.

But the story of the day belongs to the backline. Led by Simon Caven, they held off multiple attacks by the Blues. Coming off his captaincy of the Victorian Under 23 team, Simon stood very tall all day, but especially in the final quarter. He took mark after mark to stop a marauding Uni Blues. Simon was ably supported by his brothers, Tom and Michael, as well as Michael Angel and James Bennie. When the chips were down, it was also great to see first gamer, Zac O’Halloran, doing a lot of hard work deep in the backline.

We now regroup to take on Collegians.


St Bernards 6.6.42 defeated by Uni Blues 13.10.88

Goal Kickers: L. Madden 2, L. Scerri , J. Gay , A. Corsetti , S. Piantella
Best Players: , J. Forder , T. Overman , A. Corsetti , L. Sullivan , G. Zoccali , D. Colaco


The reserves side were taught a lesson today in team oriented, hard running football.  A short purple patch of 3 unanswered goals in the 2nd quarter was the only glimmer of consistent, competitive football displayed by the boys in what was a very disappointing effort.

St Bernards Thirds


Final score: St Bernards 10-9-69 defeated Uni-Blues 5-2-32

Goals: C.Forder 2, D.Riley 2, Z.Arwan, J.Bromley, W.Kingston, F. McNicol, S.O’Keeffe, D.Ryan

Best: S.Cannatelli, L.Baird, C.Forder, D.Ryan, A.Gurrisi, F.McNicol.

After a sluggish start the Thirds clicked into gear in the third quarter to register a 37 point victory over a determined Uni-Blues outfit at Walter street reserve to keep their finals chances alive. After a three-week layoff both sides were raring to go. With McNicol giving us first use of the ball we were able to draw first blood through Damo Ryan. The Uni side responded with two quick goals as their outside run and quick ball movement were causing us some early headaches. A strong contested mark and goal from O’Keeffe allowed us to go into the first break with a slight advantage. It was 2-4 to 2-0

As the conditions improved the skill level went up and we were able to use the wide open spaces of Walter st oval to our advantage, our defence stood tall and continually launched counter attacks, however we could not find the big sticks. A good roving goal by Kingston followed by a long goal to D.Riley steadied the ship. At the long break it was 4-5 to 2-1, the coaching group felt that the score line did not indicate the effort the team was producing and they were urged to make the most of the scoring opportunities.

Our intensity increased in the third and the scoreboard started to tick over, two goals to Forder and one to Arwan had us up and about, however our opponents would not lie down, a goal to Riley on the siren gave us something to defend at the last turn. Score line 8-6 to 4-2.

The coaching group urged the team to put the foot down to try and get some valuable percentage which could be a deciding factor in the coming weeks. Lack of match conditioning from missing three weeks of footy reduced the game to a slog before a long goal from Fergus and a clever snap from Bromley allowed us to coast to a comfortable victory. With games against the top three sides in the next few weeks the thirds group have their destiny in their own hands.

Senior Scribes